IABC Victoria continues growth and expansion with 2019 Board appointments
IABC Victoria has appointed its 2019 Board, welcoming new President Sia Papageorgiou upon the 20th anniversary of the Victorian chapter, one of the largest in the world.
Ms Papageorgiou, a multi award-winning communication strategist and globally certified Strategic Communication Management Professional (SCMP), has been a member of IABC for more than 12 years and served as Vice President and Chair of Professional Development on the IABC Victoria Board in 2018. She succeeds Danielle Jorgensen as President, who led the IABC Victoria Board through a period of renewal and positive achievements reflected in the chapter’s annual report, key highlights of which include:
▪ A 15 percent increase in the total number of members across the Victorian chapter following the implementation of new niche member events aimed at target segments and professional development.
▪ A truly social approach to engagement that focused on high quality content and encouraged conversation and connection with members, the wider IABC network, prospective members and other key stakeholders.
▪ The first ever global certification exam was held in Australia, arranged by the chapter and held in conjunction with Fusion 2018, IABC’s annual Asia-Pacific Conference. Eight IABC members from the region sat the SCMP exam and five IABC Victoria members achieved SCMP certification.
▪ Recruitment of nine IABC Student Ambassadors, increasing the number of participants and for the first time, achieving representation from all Victorian universities offering professional communication programs.
Ms Papageorgiou is excited and honoured by the appointment. “I want to thank outgoing Board members Deb Lemcke, Ingrid Nienaber-Dickens and Kate Van Der Drift for their commitment and service to the IABC Victoria community,” she said.
“I especially thank immediate Past President Danielle Jorgensen for her leadership, and look forward to continuing our momentum and building on the Board’s good work from 2018.
“On behalf of the IABC Victoria Board, we will be working hard to advance our profession and support our members over the coming 12 months, and we welcome their ideas and input to maximise value for our members.
“We are excited to be part of IABC’s global direction, which is about providing a platform to help our members be thought leaders; we will, in turn, help to amplify members who want to take a position and be visible in the conversations around the agenda we are promoting together.”
Board appointments for 2019 include:
• Sia Papageorgiou – President
• Deb Ganderton – Vice President
• Danielle Jorgensen – Immediate Past President
• Lauren Nowak – Treasurer
• Caroline Hughes – Secretary
• Nick Edrington – Co-Chair, Professional Development and Events
• Christine Elmer – Chair, Student & Academic liaison
• Merrin Fabre – Chair, Partnerships (new Board member)
• Meaghan Francis – Chair, Engagement (new Board member)
• Salam Hasanein – Co-Chair, Brand and Communications
• Kane Lillywhite – Chair, Membership
• Sam Sinclair – Co-Chair, Brand and Communications (new Board member)
• Vanessa Wallace – Co-Chair, Professional Development and Events (new
IABC members can meet the new IABC Victorian Board at the chapter’s first member-only event for 2019. The first in the year’s mid-week mingle series is held today from 5.30 pm at Left Bank, 1 Southbank Boulevard, Southbank, featuring special guest IABC Fellow Mary Hills (USA) – to register, visit https://iabcautumnmingle.floktu.com/
About IABC Victoria
IABC Victoria is the world’s largest IABC chapter outside North America. IABC Victoria provides an active program of professional development opportunities, events, networking opportunities, international certification and prestigious global industry awards.
To learn more about becoming an IABC Victoria member and find out about upcoming chapter events, visit vic.iabc.com
For an interview with new IABC Victoria President Sia Papageorgiou, please call 0414 436 147 or email email@example.com
2019 IABC Victoria Board: